Postcard of the month - #110 - July 2009
Wood Merchants, 66 Abbey Street, Bethnal Green
In the 1901 Census, 66 Abbey Street, Bethnal Green, now Buckfast Road, was occupied by three families, totalling fifteen people. Listed were Tom Morris, small chair maker and family, Charles Buckley, silk weaver and family and Arthur Cushway, waterside/dock labourer and family. Walter Daniel had acquired these premises before 1910, possibly taking over the entire building, and opened a Wood Merchants business there.
This view taken around 1930 shows some of his workers outside the premises. The boards outside display the type of timber he sells poles of all kinds: elder, birch and willow flower sticks and tree stakes wood for rustic work, toy making and gardening blacksmiths chisel rods garden and tree stakes elder, birch and willow poles.
He was also an English and Foreign Timber Merchants, specialising in Hardwood. Most of his foreign timber would have bought from the local timber importers down by the River. This area of Bethnal Green and Hackney Road was noted for its small scale furniture manufacturers. These men worked on their own or with a boy turning out complete furniture or parts of a larger order. These small workshops bought the type of timber require from wood merchants, mainly cut to order.
W Daniel did not live at these premises but at 255 Romford Road, Stratford. It is possible that the premises was destroyed during the blitz. A 1960's housing development now covers the site of the premises and only a small part of the old Abbey Street, where it joins Bethnal Green Road, exists today.
click link to other 'Postcard
of the Month' pages
go back to the top of this page
Legal notice follows:
Legal Notice:All contents of this Web Site are copyright © 1999 - 2009 eastlondonpostcard.co.uk. All rights reserved.
No portion of this Web Site may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior written permission from: eastlondonpostcard