Postcard of the month - #48 - May 2004
|This eastside stretch of Burdett Road
is between St Pauls Way and Thomas Street. St Pauls Church, Bow Common,
consecrated in 1859, was built and endowed by William Cotton, a local developer. The Lovat
Arms public house was built 1862 and stands on the corner of Thomas Street with Lovat
Terrace the adjoining houses.
This new road, to link Mile End Road, Bow with East India Dock Road, Limehouse, had been proposed in 1856. The Petition, to support the road, gave among its reasons that it would benefit those people living in the riverside Parishes of Stepney and Poplar, by providing them with easy access, via Grove Road, to newly laid out Victoria Park.
Built in 1862, Burdett Road is around a mile long and seventy feet wide and named after Angela Burdett-Coutts, who paid for it to be built. The building of the Road also allowed housing developments to take place along it and in the immediate area. This district became by 1870 a favourite place for middle-class East End families to live in. Only thirty years before the area around Burdett Road had been described as semi-rural.
The lovat Arms and all the houses were destroyed in the Blitz. St Pauls Church was badly damaged in an air-raid on 20th September 1940 and closed. In another air-raid on 19th March 1941, what remained of the Church was gutted by incendiary bombs.
The ruins of the Church were removed in 1958 when a new Church was constructed. The new St Pauls Church, a listed building, was consecrated on the 30th April 1960. The lovat Arms was rebuilt in the 1960s. lovat Terrace was replaced with Butler House, a typical 1960s block of flats. Recently the lovat Arms has been demolished and the site awaits future development.
click link to other 'Postcard
of the Month' pages
go back to the top of this page
Legal notice follows:
All contents of this Web Site are copyright © 1999 - 2004 eastlondonpostcard.co.uk. All rights reserved.
No portion of this Web Site may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior written permission from: eastlondonpostcard