Postcard of the month - #240 - July 2020
The provision of a modern fire station at
Poplar was a major priority for the Metropolitan Fire Brigade. Plans for the Poplar
station were produced in 1867 and the building was completed in 1869 at a total cost of
£2,429 and 10s.
A report in 1920 called for the closure of 15 stations, including this one. The station closed that year and sold to the London Salvage Corps, who used the building until 1928. It passed to T F Maltby Ltd., stevedores, for use as storage. The site was redeveloped in 1959-1960 and finally passed to Crome & Mitchell, nut merchants. It was demolished during 1987-88 for road improvements.
click link to view other 'Postcard
of the Month' pages
Legal notice follows:
All contents of this Web Site are copyright © 1999 - 2020 eastlondonpostcard.co.uk. All rights reserved.
No portion of this Web Site may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior written permission from: eastlondonpostcard
go back to the top of this page