Postcard of the month - #217 - July 2018
|Tower Bridge from Wapping Pier Head at Sunset|
| This is another painting by Mackenzie
Moulton in 1985 and was published as postcard by the History of Wapping Trust. Wapping
Pier Head was the principle entrance to the London Docks when opened in 1805. Shipping
from all over the world would have docked in and out of the London Docks, carrying goods
to and from countries all over the world.
The Pier Head housed the staff in charge of the running the entrance. The Georgian Houses, that flanks the entrance, were erected around 1810 and are one of Wappings most famous sites. The houses survived the Blitz and the closure of the London Docks in 1969. . These former houses that were used by dock staff were sold off for private use. They have been owned by many famous people since then. Wapping Pier Head still offers a magnificent sight from the river and also Wapping High Street.
Today the Pier Head is much the same, as in the past, except it is more homely and less working in appearance. However, many of its original features are still on view. Although the entrance was filled in before its closure, Wapping Pier Head still retains its original Georgian appearance. Also the view of the river seen here is much the same. However, a few added tall buildings now grace the skyline in distant Southwark; foremost is Guys Hospital.
click link to other 'Postcard of the Month' pages
go back to the top of this page
Legal notice follows:
Legal Notice:All contents of this Web Site are copyright © 1999 - 2018 eastlondonpostcard.co.uk. All rights reserved.
No portion of this Web Site may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior written permission from: eastlondonpostcard